The Naval Service Memorial is particularly striking. Standing in a large open space, and bathed in sunshine, it is a beautiful tribute to all those who have served in many wars. Visit the NMA
Crossing the Bar
A sailor stands with his head bowed in respect to sailors everywhere, cap held in the 'at ease' position.
The colours of the glass panels represent the five oceans...:
- steel grey with spume lines for the Atlantic
- turquoise for the Indian
- ultramarine for the Pacific
- white for the Arctic and Southern oceans
- yellow is for the rising sun
- red is for the setting sun, and the blood spilled at sea and on land.
Tennyson's poem, Crossing the Bar is inscribed on the terrace, a phrase used when shipmates pass away.